Monday, March 30, 2020

HOW ARE YOU? REALLY?

How are you?  How are you, really?

In this strange, historic, scary period of our human global history, I'd wager we are all feeling off-balance; no degree of excellence at Tree Pose prepared us for this coronavirus pandemic. 

I wish I had unique words of wisdom to impart, new words of encouraging news to share, bright examples of how to cope.  I could come up with any and all of that, but if you are like me, there is already plenty to go around on your social media feed, the nightly news, amongst your friends.  I have nothing new to add.

But that doesn't make me silent.  This is a global conversation we are having; a shared experience that we all experience in different ways, but which we all must endure.  We all have stories to tell.

I read a meme the other day, which of course I cannot now find to offer credit, but the gist was something like: "When the World Falls Apart, We Turn to Art".

Can you relate?  Are you binging on Netflix fare?  Artistic people created whatever it is you are watching.  Do you read poetry, or novels, or essays?  Artists created those too.  Are you availing  yourself of all the free online museum "tours"?  Artists!  How about listening to music?  Artists again.

And that makes me think of Yoga and Art.  Could yoga be considered at art form?  One could certainly look at the beautiful shapes and forms of the asana poses and see art there.  I have a friend who is working on a series of felted art pieces depicting yoginis in poses.  They are stunning.

At this time of anxiety and chaos, may we all find the true meaning of yoga -- calming the fluctuations or mind -- by turning to the art of solitude and silence, whether in asana, meditation, or finding some emotional peace with our favorite artists.

I'm looking forward to returning to our beautifully artistic Yoga Circle Studio (lovingly cleaned, sanitized, and nurtured in our absence by owner/teacher/artist Karen Guzak) embraced in the love of community there.   Hold that thought.©

Namaste, donnajurene

No comments:

Post a Comment