Friday, August 22, 2014

A GREAT YOGI PASSES



For many in the West, Yoga is merely a form of exercise, another way to get in shape.  Yet the practice of Yoga has many facets (those 8 Limbs) and is an ancient spiritual practice that goes far beyond a work-out.

The Yogi credited with bringing this practice to the West, in the 1950's, was BKS Iyengar.  He died this week at the age of 96.  He credits Yoga for his longevity, but finally his bodily form succumbed to kidney failure.

His style of Yoga has always been somewhat intimidating to me…I've seen videos of teachers of Iyengar Yoga perfecting student alignment with what appeared to be strict adherence to form accompanied by all manner of props and pulleys.  

Yet, his use of props to help with alignment is what has allowed many of us to practice at all.  How many would have given up without the support of a strap or a block or a blanket at times?  And I do agree with the philosophy of "getting it right"…or as close to right as possible.  I try to align my body in asana to the best of my current abilities and have seen progress over the years as I get stronger and more flexible, so that the "best of my ability" is expanding in definition.

I thought of this in class yesterday when our practice included 27 breaths of holding Boat Pose and Plank Pose (OK..no one quite got that far), of twists in Pigeon Pose that I could only hint at as my body stopped turning and my arm and leg were miles apart instead of happily entwined.  BKS Iyengar taught to keep a quiet mind as we practice….but my mind was chatting away, I tell ya, and not saying nice things to me.  

Then…again…I took a deep breath and, to honor his teachings, I became quiet in my mind, focusing on the beautiful cello music playing, holding and reaching to the best of my own ability, grateful and aware that whatever I was able to do were lightyears beyond what I was doing 10 years ago when eating bowls full of ice cream while watching TV was my main spiritual practice.

Born poor, Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja was not expected to live past 20 as he suffered through a childhood of illness: malaria, typhoid, tuberculosis, and influenza.  Yet, he went on to become renowned the world over and to live nearly 100 years.  This week he is mourned by those who studied with him and were influenced by him.

Perhaps this advice is among his best:  "Live happily and die majestically."  May it be so for us all. ©

Namaste,  donnajurene
Photo Credit: Bill O'Leary/The Washington Post


No comments:

Post a Comment