Wednesday, September 10, 2014

LEVITY WITH THE LEVEYS

I flirted with sitting meditation for many years.  I liked the idea of it.  I went to workshops occasionally, which were wonderful and motivating -- for about three days post-workshop.  Then I slipped into my old pattern of finding all manner of important things to do instead of meditating (dishes, laundry, TV…)

About three years ago I found myself in a state of anxiety that seemed relentless, due to a health scare I'd experienced.  I was desperate to find some relief from the "what-ifs" and "what's thats" that plagued me.  I turned to yoga to get in touch with my body and then took another stab at sitting meditation to try to calm my mind.  I had lots meditating friends and there was an ongoing meditation circle at my UU Fellowship.  I started attending there and also joined a group that met at a dear friend's home every week.  We were mostly novices, seekers, explorers of this path.  We mostly read about Buddhism and Insight Meditation and had a special affection for Pema Chodron, a prolific writer and Buddhist monk who has influenced and supported millions with her wise books, videos, and audio recordings.

Two from our group also told us of local resources for learning more about meditation.  They had gone to a summer week-long "camp" experience focused on meditation, facilitated by Joel & Michelle Levey.  They came home raving, transformed, kick-started in their practice.  They also said any who wanted could attend the Levey's Sangha (group of meditators) at their home in Seattle whenever they were in town and not traveling.  Just show up, drop a free-will donation in the basket, and take a seat.

So, that's what my husband and I did.  It took a bit of looking to find their home in the wintery rain and darkness of their Seattle neighborhood, but walking up the short path to their front door felt like a transition already.  We entered, relative beginners, and found a large group of folks already assembled in a living room that had been transformed into a meditation space, with cushions on the floor, pillowed window seats, folding chairs, and a futon.  Inspirational wall hangings and colorful representations of Eastern religious deities and artifacts hung on the walls.  The people all seemed to know each other and we felt a bit like outsiders from up in Snohomish County, but we weren't there to make friends.  We were there to deepen our practice with teachers of great renown.

At the appointed time, Joel and Michelle appeared and took their places facing the circle of people gathered.  I expected some great reverence, some bowing or something.  Mostly there were greetings of "Hi!  How are ya?" and much laughter.  Laughter!  I knew all would be well.

They spoke brief words of welcome and offered an introduction to the evening.  Then Joel guided us into a time of meditation where we sat silently together for about 40 minutes.   My mind was all over the place, as usual, for about the first 10 minutes, then I settled in, then I got uncomfortable and shifted my position, then my mind went wild with the usual "How much longer?" thoughts, then I settled in again, then more fidgeting, then more thinking, then more calm and peace….

After the meditation there was a time of sharing and questions.  Throughout the discussion  Joel and Michelle wove personal stories with ancient teachings with modern research into the benefits of meditation in a relaxed teaching style.  They were funny, encouraging, and down-to-earth, listening to and responding to each person, whether an experienced meditation practitioner or a beginner, with equal thoughtfulness.

We went back a few more times but found the commute to be more than we wanted to take on.  Our UU minister at the time was also a certified meditation teacher through Deepok Chopra's school and we decided to sit in meditation and study with him locally.  Still, my experience with the Leveys was an important step on the journey to finding a practice that is now a daily part of my life.  I read their books, receive their daily emails containing words of wisdom, and know that the work they are doing to bring this healing practice to others is work of the heart and soul.

I've been meditating regularly for over three years now, and I still fidget, still notice my "monkey mind" running amok while I breathe into relaxation.   But at some point most of those distractions fade away and when that happens, even for brief moments, noticing the space between the thoughts, the stillness of the body,  I feel I've touched the possibilities of deep peace that meditation brings to those who sit, silently, and breathe. ©

Namaste...donnajurene

Here's a video of Joel and Michelle Levey from the Yoga Circle archives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynqc0GYfEs


No comments:

Post a Comment