Friday, January 16, 2015

"I NEVER GET SICK"....OH, REALLY?

Arrgggg..... A week ago today I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose.  I gave myself until noon to get better, because....I NEVER GET SICK!  Last winter I had nary a sniffle and can't recall the last time I had anything resembling the flu.  (Frantically knocking on wood now.)

But...a bug got me this winter.  A "common cold" and not the flu, thankfully, but annoying and wearying enough.  I've missed many Yoga Circle classes and have not done much practice at home either.  But this morning I finally Googled "yoga postures for nasal congestion".  Up popped a helpful list of recommended asanas:  http://yoganonymous.com/5-yoga-poses-to-relieve-colds-congestion/   I'm sorry.  I can't do most of these with ease on my strongest days, let alone in my weakened condition.  Sheesh!

Another search gave me this more complete menu of advice:  http://www.gaiamtv.com/article/3-yoga-practices-sinus-relief

ASANA:

That's more like it -- the "Beginner" series, anyway, lists asanas I can do easily -- Child's Pose, Downward Facing Dog, Forward Fold, Rabbit Pose.   But I see some of the others from the first link in the intermediate/advanced category, so I guess they really do the trick -- Shoulder Stand, Plow Pose, Headstand.  Maybe I'll give them a try with a bunch of modifications and props, such that I'm likely to deem them ineffective, but what the heck..worth a try.

NETI POT NASAL IRRIGATION:

The Neti Pot is something I've been using.  Do you use a Neti Pot to clear nasal passages?  While some find it soothing, I believe it's more akin to a waterboarding experience, but that may just be my aversion to getting water up my nose and a sensitive gag reflex.  So I struggle through the procedure, with some reluctance and much procrastination, after which I feel much, much better....for a while.  It doesn't cure anything and needs to be repeated, but it does help a lot in the short term.

I took a photo of my Neti Pot, in a beautiful still life pose, for this blog post.  I have spared you the photos I found online of folks demo-ing Neti Pot use in a more graphic manner.  Also, I would just like to add, any photo taken of me in mid-process would likely make you sick, if you are not already.

PRANAYAMA:

Mindful breathing is another thing I've been trying to do -- when I can breathe through my stuffed nose.

Belly Breathing -- deep slow breaths, watching the rise and fall of the belly.  Love this one and I've been doing it a lot.

Calming Breath -- I do this one when I am feeling anxious or about to go on stage for a poetry reading or emcee'ing something or other as I do occasionally.  It is very relaxing, but not so easy to do when one or other nostril is blocked!

Breath of Fire -- I think this one is fun and funny, but I mostly just start to hyperventilate in short order.  Need further practice.

So, even though I am not at the studio much while I sniffle and cough my way through this, I am with you in spirit, Neti pot at the ready and mindfully breathing into a nasal draining posture of self-care.  Carry on!  And may you be well.  ©

Namaste,  donnajurene

No comments:

Post a Comment