Sunday, August 23, 2015

PEACE BE UPON YOU

Ugh!  Conflict, controversy, name-calling, denigrating, fighting, killing, spying, mistrust, distrust, dis-ease, manipulation, misinformation, greed....It gets overwhelming and demoralizing to pick up a newspaper, flip on the Nightly News, scroll through the internet newsfeeds.

Every so often I call a moratorium on "news".  I find I am less afraid, less stressed, less worried about the state of our world and the future of our planet when not constantly bombarded by strife.  I find when I focus on my own little life, the people in it, the things that are of immediate importance to me I find more peace.  Then the guilt sets in and the realization that I'm not just an island unto myself.  I am part of the greater whole with an obligation to learn, grow, model, and practice finding a path out of the darkness that so often envelopes human nature.

It is a delicate balance to be a part of, and a part from, this world.  I need inspiration.

In class this past week, Karen ended, as we always do, with bowing to each other in Namaste.  This time she included my very favorite Namaste mantra:

Bringing hands to our head at the Third Eye:  "May there be peace in our thoughts."

Bringing hands to our lips:  "May there be peace in our words."

Bringing hands to our hearts:  "May there be peace in our hearts."

In the religion of Islam, Muslims practice salat -- ritual prayer -- pausing five times each day to kneel on a prayer mat and praise God.  The salat ends with, "Peace Be Upon You".

I've decided to take up this practice -- upon awakening, mid-day, late afternoon, evening, before bed -- repeating the following slightly altered Namaste -- taking personal ownership of the sentiment by using the word "my", with the added salat close:

May there be peace in my thoughts.
May there be peace in my words.
May there be peace in my heart.
May Peace Be Upon Us All.

I wonder how our behaviors might be different, our ability to find solutions enhanced, if we could live those words as a promise to ourselves and each other.  I'm gonna give it a try. ©

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit: Pixabay.com




No comments:

Post a Comment