Wednesday, May 4, 2016

IF NOTHING ELSE, JUST BREATHE

I just got home from yoga class after a two week "time-out" from practicing.  I tried to Google "How long to get back to normal in yoga?" and got a bunch of hits for coming back after pregnancy.  That definitely wasn't my issue.  I was merely slothful....my most deadly sin.

Granny Nannying often keeps me out of the studio two-three days/week and sometimes other appointments and commitments interfere too, but I'm usually there at least twice/week.  But we just took a 10 day trip, so vacation got in the way on top of everything else.  There was a Yoga class at the resort where we stayed, but I ignored it.  I have not had the most positive experiences with "vacation yoga".  On the other hand, it would have likely helped me stay close-ish to where I was in terms of strength, flexibility, and balance.  Because where I was today was almost back to rank beginner!

I was shocked at how stiff, unbend-y, and off-balance I was.  Things that should have been easy-breezy were a challenge.  My wrists hurt, my shoulders wouldn't move, I tipped off balance just doing a simple rise onto the balls of my feet in Chair pose.  I even wobbled in Warrior I -- both feet solidly on the ground!  And stamina?  Half-way through class I was ready for Savasana!  But I hung in there and was grateful for it being a pretty gentle class with lots of emphasis on Pranayama (yogic breathing), because that calmed the shout-y, judge-y voice in my head that wanted to scold me about my "performance".   And breathing seemed to be the only thing I felt competent and confident about today.  Pretty basic.

So, how long does it take to start to backslide?  For me, I guess two weeks.  I know that getting back to "normal" is just a matter of showing up, being patient, listening to my body, finding my edge, and breathing through it all.  Also laughing.  And resting.  And loving the process.  If you see me grabbing the wall for balance for awhile, come on over and join me!   We'll have a good chuckle.

Happy to be back!!!©
Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit: spreadshirt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment