Monday, July 25, 2016

DONKEY AND ELEPHANT POSE

I confess.  I'm a bit of a political junkie -- and certainly more so during presidential election years.  I get obsessed and a bit overwrought.  I get super excited and super dismayed.  I get angry and confused.  I get optimistic and hopeful.

All good opportunities to practice equanimity.  A good opportunity to practice deep diaphragmatic breathing.  A good opportunity to practice lovingkindness meditation.  But really, really difficult.

Last week was a tough time for me.  Yes, I'm a Liberal.  A Democrat.  So watching the Republican National Convention, which I did because it interests me what Republicans stand for and believe in for the future of our country, gave me ample opportunity to practice mindfulness and acceptance of what "is".  I also occasionally dropped to the floor and did a few Downward Dogs just to stay in touch with my body, cuz my mind and spirit were busy trying to comprehend and not freak out.

I bet some readers of this post will find they have the same challenges this week as the Democrats gather at their convention.  To people who support the Republican candidate and see things from a different perspective than I, their frustration and confusion this week must be just as acute.  I say to you:  breathe, move, be with what "is" this week too.

Listening to our respective party nominees we have the ability to sort out what is a campaign promise and what is actually doable.  Just like I can say I'll do a Lord of the Dance pose tomorrow while warming up for class and look like a Yoga Journal cover girl while doing it.  The reality is I'd be pretty off-balance at best, and fall on my butt at worst (and most likely).  And my track record isn't that great.  I tend toward simpler, more doable poses.  You'd be forgiven for betting against me.  But if I really, really mean to achieve the pose, I'll call upon the very best teachers, put my mind and body to the task over and over, and eventually I may get there, but it won't be easy or pretty.

Patience, compassion, unity, passion, optimism, hope, kindness, and love.  Isn't that what our practice is about?  Can that also be what what we model in the world?  The true test may be in politics.  Keep breathing.  It's where Spirit lives.

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.vexels.com/vectors/preview/77885/republican-and-democrat-party-symbols"> Republican and Democrat party symbols </a> | Free vector by <a target="_blank" href="https://www.vexels.com/">Vexels</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment