Friday, April 21, 2017

PUSHING BACK THE WAVES

I confess.  I'm being slothful.  I've been on vacation and I have not been practicing yoga with any regularity or duration.  A few twists here and there; a few downward dogs; a couple of tree poses and that's about it.  Still meditating though, so I comfort my guilty conscience with that bit of back-patting.

What I have been doing is qigong.  I'm no expert.  Neither is my husband.  But one of his guides on an Alaskan kayak/meditation retreat last summer also introduced the group to a qigong practice which they did every early morning.  He loved it and brought it home to me.

I'm sure its a very elementary practice and is brief in duration (15 minutes), which makes it a perfect beginner's practice.  I was unable to attend the Qigong Sunday Workshop at Yoga Circle recently; I'm sure that included much more instruction and explanation than I can offer here.

Let me just say....whatever it is I've learned from my husband, I love.  It's a slow moving meditation with the various flowing moves mimicking events from nature:  Mist Rising from the Lake, Parting the Clouds, Pushing Back the Waves, Casting the Rainbow, etc.

Standing together on the beach, the waves lapping the shore, we move in a synchronized meditation that feels renewing, refreshing, and connecting.

In addition to yoga, there are a beautiful array of other practices that we can explore and embrace that further our spiritual and physical growth.  Qigong is one, as is Tai Chi -- also offered at Yoga Circle.   Give them a try. ©

Namaste,
   donnajurene

No comments:

Post a Comment