Monday, May 22, 2017

GARDEN YOGA

FINALLY!!!  We've endured a long, wet fall, winter, and early spring here.  The Puget Sound area set a new rainfall  record with over 44 inches between October 2016 and April 2017 -- more than our usually annual average!  This past weekend the sun came out, the temps soared into the 70's, and every single person who could went outside.

My husband and I spent hours in our yard and gardens.  We have a big yard with many spaces to tend.  We finally prepped our raised beds and got the veggies seeds planted, moved some perennials around, staked the raspberries, made plans for two new patio areas, and, as I write this, my husband is doing an asphalt patch on the cracks in our long driveway.  It feels good to be out, warm, and dry.

I've noticed before how often I am working in the garden and my awareness of yoga poses slips in as I bend, stoop, squat, and straighten up.  Today I was looking over some resources for activities to do in the yard with my grandkids and I came across this great poster.  My granddaughters, ages 2 and 7, love doing yoga with me.  I am eager to introduce "Garden Yoga" to them!

How about you?  Do you think of yoga poses as you go about your daily routine?  There are ample opportunities to incorporate asana practice off the mat.  You might want to start with a stroll to the backyard, gaze up at that brilliant blue sky, take in the fresh green of new growth and do a few simple poses to honor the return of the sun, the return of warmth, the return of long, lovely days of light and vitality as we dive deep into another perfect Northwest summer.

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo credit: yogaforkids.com free printable poster

1 comment: