Tuesday, July 31, 2018

THE SOUND OF HEAVEN

I just had a musical weekend.  Thursday my husband and I gathered with our grown children and their children to enjoy a picnic on the grass overlooking the stage at the weekly Music at the Marina performance near our home.  What a beautiful summer evening and a great band, LeRoy Bell and His Only Friends.  (Google them.)  At one point I felt my heart throbbing with love for my family, for the beauty of the surroundings, with gratitude for the choices and serendipity that had brought me to this place in my life, these people in it.

On Friday night my husband and I went to a local winery which hosts a summer concert series to see my all time favorite singer/songwriter/musician/band -- Jackson Browne.  I've been a fan since the 70's and his music has become the soundtrack for a big chunk of my life.  We had great center stage seats and I loved singing along to every word, dancing with the crowd, and screaming in appreciation after each song.  I haven't done that in a long, long time.  I was filled with memories of the many, many years I've listened to his music, seen him in concert, laughed and sang and danced with abandon. It was pure joy.

On Sunday, well, Sunday was the perfect musical finale.  Karen hosted a Jami Sieber concert at her magnificent home/art studio/community space.  You may know Jami Sieber -- if you practice at Yoga Circle Studio, you've heard her music.  Karen plays it frequently as the background music of her classes.

Jami plays the electric cello.  The first time I saw her I was stunned...what was that thing???  She calls it a cello having an out of body experience.  Funny, huh?  This time she was joined by her partner, Agu, who plays the singing bowls and chimes.  Together they were exquisite.

Jami is warm, funny, crazy talented.  She actually lays down backing tracks as she plays, layering melody and syncopation one over the other in a complex riddle of sound. Her music is transformative.  She invites her audience to take a "deep dive",  eyes closed, no need for applause...just let the music flow in and around, creating a peaceful and centering experience.  It's like floating on air.

When I posted to my Facebook page about this concert later that night, a friend from Boulder, Colorado surprised me with her knowledge of Jami.  She responded: "Ive been listening to her intensely for the past month.  Her music is the sound of Heaven."  Indeed.

May music fill your soul with love, with joy, with Heaven. ©

Namaste, donnajurene

Learn more and listen to Jami here:  https://www.jamisieber.com
Karen also has CD's for sale in the Yoga Circle Studio shop.

2 comments:

  1. Bummed to miss the concert but happy to play her cd when I’m creating art. Thanx to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This summer my family and I attended a four-day Music Festival. It's our new family annual Adventure. It was wonderful and although we didn't have the time to take it it was the best vacation ever and very renewing. Seems like music and family are just like that!

    ReplyDelete