Saturday, July 26, 2014

NON-PERFECTING BALANCE

I guess it's cheating a little to include author Elizabeth Gilbert's essay here about the myth of finding balance in life, since I'M the one who is supposed to be coming up with brilliant insights for this blog, but I realize I can't say it any better than she already has.  http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/balance-reconsidered-good-morning-loves-so-the-other-night-someone-a/

What her essay did prompt me to think about was how hard I can be on myself for not always getting the balancing poses right in yoga class.  I find them to be challenging most of the time, yet I see the parallels to life each time I fall out of a balance.  Most of the time I'm distracted or trying too hard or sore and tired…all the ways in which LIFE also manifests in times of frustration and self-doubt.  And almost every time I berate myself for my "failure".

Balance is that thing we seem to crave in these busy, hectic, abundant times and if I can't even stay in tree pose, how am I supposed to find peace in the rush and crush of craziness we call modern life?

Here's a challenge…what if I stop trying?  What if I decide to keep my toe on the floor once in awhile  -- on purpose! -- and do an easy tree pose, just breathing into the feeling of steady and solid, maybe closing my eyes and letting the peace of the pose wash over me?

Maybe some days, finding my "edge" is just finding a place of "this feels so good" and being content with that, at least for a time. ©

Namaste...donnajurene

Photo Credit: Copyright: <a href='https://www.123rf.com/profile_tommasolizzul'>tommasolizzul / 123RF Stock Photo</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment