Monday, July 14, 2014

OOPS. DID I DO THAT?

And now, Delicate Flowers, it's time to address the unmentionable….the sounds, the sweats, the sights, and scenes we create in Yoga class.

Read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lacey-haynes/yoga-fart_b_3633367.html

Have you ever felt the full effect of Pavanamuktasana (wind relieving pose)?  C'mon, raise your hand!  We'll wait….

Oh, it's what we all dread, right?  "Please, please, please don't let it be me!"  I know a couple of women who have become so mortified by the little "toot" they emitted in class that they never went back!  Such a shame to be so ashamed of a normal bodily function.  But I do get it….

It happened to me -- once -- and not at Yoga Circle, so if you think you were there, you weren't!  It's always sort of a surprise, right?  I was between two men (drats!) and of course the room seemed to be dead quiet, but likely the instructor was prattling away, I don't recall exactly.  And likely it wasn't the sonic boom-sound I thought it was, but still….I knew and I quickly looked around to see if anyone's head had jerked in my direction.  Nope.  So discreet.  I was a bit embarrassed, but then thought, "Oh well…we'll all live,"  and just went on with the class.   (This is the sort of shrug-off one does when one reaches a "certain age" -- not much seems so overly dire as it used to.)

Same with my tears.  I cry fairly often in Yoga class.  Not like my friend who has literally sobbed with grief and gratitude; true snot-running sobs.  (So sweet and cathartic.)  But I have cried with tears running down my cheeks -- sometimes from frustration over the harsh judgements I lay on myself, sometimes with gratitude for my strength and power, sometimes when tender thoughts come unbidden in the quiet, deep moments of shavasana.  Tears heal.  It's OK.

And falling out of poses and all the rest?  Yep.  I can't speak for the errant boy parts mentioned in the article.  I've never witnessed that, but I have already written in a previous blog post about a peek-a-boo girl part. These things just happen sometimes.

I think walking into Yoga class means shedding Ego and coming to the mat as the juicy, tender, sweet, vulnerable, messy, surprising beings that we are. Don't let that scare you. We're only human. ©

Namaste….donnajurene

Photo Credit: Copyright: <a href='https://www.123rf.com/profile_antonioguillem'>antonioguillem / 123RF Stock Photo</a>




1 comment:

  1. The only thing I know about yoga is that it looks hard. That said, I always thought passing gas while trying some of those poses was a given. But I was shocked to read here that tears sometimes happen in yoga class. After my experience with tears in Stretch and Flex class it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one of the face of the earth to cry in an exercise class. By the way, I want you to know that your blog inspired me to try the Stretch and Balance class. Yoga? I'm too out of shape for that. LOL

    ReplyDelete