Wednesday, July 22, 2015

FIFTY SHADES OF YOGA


Well, all-righty then.  Last week we had a small class on Thursday morning.  I got there a tad late and didn't hear who said something (a request?) that prompted Karen to muse that "going to the wall" would be a good idea, but I sort of wanted to thrash whoever it was.  Going to the wall filled me with dread.

Have you done the wall yet?  You know, that lovely stained wood wall with the silver metal hooks?  You've looked at it, no doubt, and wondered...."Hmmm...wonder what that's for?"  Maybe you even noticed the long fiber woven straps hanging at the end of the wall.

Well, "going to the wall" means using the wall for support -- a good thing for those tricky balancing poses -- Tree or Half Moon.

It also means grabbing a couple of those long straps, attaching them to the appropriate hook level and adjusting them to fit around your arm, waist, hips...whatever.  You are literally strapped to the wall and the idea is to surrender to gravity; to trust the strap to hold you in a pose that you would normally do without the aid of a strap.  The theory is that you can relax your body into a fuller posture, not worrying about falling over or losing balance.  Some muscles get to rest while others stretch.  In theory.

But what often happens is we come face to face with our fears of letting go.  I found myself wondering:  Did I adjust the strap tightly enough?  Did the person who installed the hooks drill deeply enough for them to hold?  Does our teacher really think these postures are safe and beneficial?  My arm seems to be doing a Gumby-like stretchy thing!  Whoa!  Is that normal???

I found I was tentative at first.  Holding back.  Being safe.  But gradually I allowed myself to relax more, and then a bit more, into each pose until I felt the relief of a good long stretch.  I felt the joy of a wide Warrior stance, a deepening Forward Bend, a Downward Dog with no stress on the wrists as the strap pulled at my hips holding me tight.  I was even almost relaxed enough to do a backbend beyond what I would normally attempt, but not quite.  Safe word:  "Nope!"

What I discovered about the wall -- and me -- is that it's about trust.  Trusting the wall, the hooks, the straps, and my own sense of "more" and "enough".   When Karen said to "love the wall" and "trust the strap" I realized that over time I really did.  To a point...that point being a full backbend for me.

As with everything in Yoga, we bring our whole selves to the practice and that wholeness expands as we allow our experience to expand us into a new way of being.  My new way of being is next time when I hear "let's go to the wall" I'll have less dread and more sense of adventure.  And I'll know, as always, that I'm in charge!©

Namaste, donnajurene

Photo Source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/476044623086631005/

No comments:

Post a Comment