Friday, July 31, 2015

GURU PURNIMA....A DAY OF RECOGNITION FOR OUR TEACHERS

Today is Guru Purnima -- a day to give thanks to our teachers (gurus).  Many of my Hindu- and Buddhist-leaning friends used the occasion to post thanks on Facebook to those who have been instrumental in their ongoing explorations of life and practice.  What a lovely tradition!

I thought of my own life and of those who have been instrumental in setting me on my path:

My strong and courageous supervisor, Julie, in Chicago who introduced me to feminism 42 years ago and encouraged me to move beyond what I ever thought possible in my life, sharing her experiences and providing me with a role model for education, activism, and perseverance.

The founders of two personal growth groups for women, Char of "Woman Within" and ALisa, Jude, and Sarah of "Women in Power" who supported me, and scores of others, in delving into the wounded places in our souls and finding healing, grace, and power to move through the hurt to a place of strength and intention -- with a toolbox full of practical modalities for ongoing self-awareness and growth.

Two journalists/teachers, Mary Ann and Fred, in classes at the UW Non-Fiction Writers Program who told me I could write and encouraged me to keep at it.

Poet, Jack, who said everyone has a story to tell in the form of a 3-minute poetry performance and led me to my first Open Mic.

My meditation teacher, Bruce, who taught me mantra meditation and that the present moment is infinite.

Bhakti teachers Jai and Gina who inspired me on the path of devotional chant and whose wisdom, humor, compassion, and humility are ever an example for how to be in the world.

Karen, my Yoga guru and role model for joyful and abundant living at every age.

My women friends who show me every day the healing balm that comes with deep sharing, mutual support, and uproarious laughter.

Also....my husband and sons,  daughter-in-law, and grandchildren for teaching me the depth of my capacity for love, patience, and forgiveness.

I am blessed with so many gurus, so many who have in the past, and continue in the present, to challenge and support me to lean into greater physical and emotional health and wisdom.

Who are your gurus?  Now would be a good time to reflect and say... ©

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit: <a href="https://clipartfest.com/">clipartfest.com</a>







No comments:

Post a Comment