Tuesday, January 26, 2016

HAVE EMPATHY FOR THOSE WHO ARE HURTING - A DEATH IN THE FAMILY

Nope.  I haven't written much this month.  I apologize to anyone who missed me and especially to Karen, with whom I have an agreement to write a few blog posts every month.  I'll be back on track soon.

But you know...sometimes there are no words.

Our family has been sitting vigil, not in person because we live 2000 miles apart, but in spirit, with my younger brother who last Friday lost his life to cancer.  It has been a horrific year, since the cancer we thought cured had recurred.  Aggressive chemo regimens didn't work so he discontinued treatment in June and hoped to make it through the holidays.  He did.

I have been so blessed to receive much love and support throughout this time and especially in the past few days since his passing.  Say what you will about social media, it feels good to get those messages of condolence in our 21st Century modes of communication online.  I've gotten phone calls, emails, texts, and cards.  Also flowers.  I have some amazing friends.

Then Karen posted this excellent video to the Yoga Circle Facebook page and I had to share it again here.  Empathy.  What Brene Brown says in this little video is so true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

Empathy is "feeling with" the person who is hurting; no silver linings.  I have had a truckload of empathy since Friday.  I am grateful. ©

Namaste,  donnajurene

No comments:

Post a Comment