Tuesday, January 12, 2016

SLIDING BACKWARD

The devil made me do it.  That evil little munchkin who whispers in my ear:  "It's OK....you're hungry!  This is breakfast; you can work it off.  Just eat salad the rest of the day..."

I meet a friend for breakfast once a week, on a day that also happens to be my regular Yoga day.  And my "regular" days seem to have gotten infrequent over the holidays what with lots going on in addition to my 3 days/week Granny Nanny job.  So it turns out I didn't make it to the studio again last week.  Consequently, I was ready this morning.  I was EAGER.  I fully intended to eat a light breakfast and show up on the mat full of vigor.

Unfortunately, that little devil talked me out of the eggs and cottage cheese combo I had intended to order and instead I ended up with a plate of eggs, bacon, and French Toast in front of me.  I hardly know how that happened.  I guess the words came out of my mouth and the waitress brought what I asked for, but really, I don't think it was actually me speaking.

So on the mat, I felt anything but vigorous, or light, or limber.  Mostly I felt like a garden slug with a bit of a bloated tummy and a deep desire to just do 90 minutes of Savasana -- under a rock.  But I made it through the class, following instructions and moving into a deeply meditative state of attentiveness .... on the clock.  Oh, yes, I wanted to be somewhere else; not there.

I could immediately tell I had taken far too many days off from practice.  I was stiff, my wrists hurt, I didn't bend or balance with anything like my usual (haha) grace.  I reminded myself that Yoga is NOT optional, but necessary for me to maintain my girlish figure and youthful exuberance.  Also, to maintain my ability to get out of a chair, which is more the point as I grow into elder years.

I also realized that the five pounds I gained over the holidays was now draped with some heft over my thighs in Child's Pose, there to remind me that every bite I eat moves directly and with some rapidity to my abdomen, there to set up a squatter's camp of stubborn insistence on its right to remain regardless of subsequent calorie restriction or treadmill activity.

I tried to be thankful that I at least had thrown in some "on the spur of the moment" at home poses during my classroom hiatus, but that is nothing like a full-on 90 minute class, which is so much more intentional and challenging than a few brief Downward Dogs and Forward Folds in the living room.

I have decided NOT to beat myself up about this little backslide.  I know I can get back in the Yoga Groove.  I know how amazing I feel and how good it is for me to do this practice.

And the weight will come off again as soon as I get on Angie's List and find an Exorcist. ©

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit: pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment