Wednesday, December 23, 2015

YOGA AND MEDITATION FOR A HAPPY HOLIDAY


Hoo-Boy.  The holiday season has wrecked havoc with my studio yoga practice.   Watching my granddaughter three days/week already cuts into the possible times I can come to class, then add in to-do lists, holiday get-togethers, coffee with old friends, a new commitment to bit of volunteer work, a trip out of town, a birthday weekend extravaganza...

So here's what I've been doing -- Yoga on the Move.  I'm on the floor a lot with my 10 month old granddaughter, so I will frequently do Happy Baby Pose (a natural, given my company!), Plank, Downward Facing Dog, Boat, Bridge -- you get the idea.  And believe me, there are plenty of unplanned opportunities for Chair Pose, uncountable numbers of Forward Bends, Half Forward Bends, and a million muscle building lifts!

Standing in line at the post office, grocery store, department store -- I'm doing invisible ab crunches, Mula Bandha, and Pranayama (my advice: watch it with the Ujjaya Breath -- people will think you are reenacting all the Darth Vadar scenes in Star Wars.)  I stand in a conscious Mountain Pose and rise up onto the balls of my feet for a good stretch.

At home waiting for the pot to boil?  I do standing counter top supported push ups.  Doing the dishes, Tree Pose works nicely and I can always grab the faucet for support if needed.

I'm not usually a fan of the holiday season.  I love the lights, the poinsettias, the good cheer, but it all gets to be a bit stressful at times -- shopping, cooking, socializing, creating the "magic".  This year, though, I've had (so far -- and we are almost there!) a very mellow December.

I credit my mindfulness meditation practice.  I've been successfully in each moment, not fretting about what yet has to get done.  I've decided it's not up to me to be the Christmas Fairy waving my magic wand to ensure a jolly good time for all.  Each one of us, as we meet and greet, spend time together, sing a carol or give a gift, are co-creating the holiday experience.

I'll be back to the studio on my regular schedule soon.  But for now, I sneak in an asana when I can, send out a lovingkindness meditation to those I both love and loathe, and feel the gratitude for a blessed life filled with love and laughter.   I hope your holiday season is equally Merry and Bright!

Namaste,  donnajurene

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing - that you too, send out kindness and love - even as you battle the loathe. Me too. I keep trying and hoping.

    ReplyDelete