Tuesday, January 24, 2017

BEGINNING AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN...

My practice on the mat today had almost nothing to do with the asanas and everything to do with self-compassion, which is harder than a headstand.

I have written about my Autumn bout with the common cold and bronchitis which kept me out of the studio for a few weeks, then came the holidays and scheduling conflicts, then I took a trip out of town for a week...I'm only now, finally!, starting to see some daylight in my schedule and a chance to get back to my studio routine.   I've noticed I've done some backsliding, but in my mind I still think of myself as being as flexible and strong as I was 3 months ago.  Not so much.

Today it was oh so apparent that I have a lot of work to do to regain my former yogic excellence.  I felt like a rank beginner -- unsure, unsteady, unflexible...just a giant "un"-everything!

Every pose had some degree of difficulty for me.  I sat two of them out completely.  Most had me "ouching" internally or falling out of balance for all to see.  My right side seemed broken as I took note that my right foot ached with Plantar Fasciitis, my right hip bone had a tender spot, my right wrist and right shoulder have a nagging and lingering bursitis or something;  I'm not even sure how I injured them or why they hurt.

AND every Forward Fold, Cat-Cow, Downward Facing Dog and Child's Pose were rude reminders of  every scoop of stuffing, dollop of mashed potatoes, every piece of chocolate candy, every cookie, cake, and pie, every Peppermint Mocha, every bag of chips and tub of dips, as my tummy flopped unattractively against my thighs.

So, I started to just ignore the asanas, going through the poses on auto-pilot, as I focused on my state of mind.  I worked hard to silence the critic, the rude remarks, the self-flagellation.  I turned to my higher self and asked for some assistance with accepting the current situation and for the determination to work my way back to a healthier, stronger body.  I ended up my practice feeling humbled, but happy.

Then when I got home I stepped on the scale.  Let's just say, I've got my work cut out for me.  I'm back at the beginning, again.

Namaste...donnajurene

No comments:

Post a Comment