Saturday, February 18, 2017

REST

I've been noticing that oftentimes we are given the option of resting in either Child's Pose or Downward Facing Dog.  Which do you choose?

I almost always go for Child's Pose.  I have wondered if the pose is really aptly named for a resting pose; I imagine for some it's uncomfortable to put their head on the mat (my nose sometimes feels smushed and my forehead hurts, so I turn my head.)  For some maybe their knees bark at them folded under the weight of their bodies resting on thighs.  For some arms out front overhead might cause a shoulder pinch and back behind, hands by the ankles, often makes the head even more heavily rested on the mat.

That's why we modify!!!  Find the form of the pose that is truly restful and if it's not, pick a different resting pose!

Yesterday I was watching my 2 year old granddaughter play on the floor.  She was busy with blocks and cars and dolls and stuffed animals, moving things around and jabbering away, when suddenly she flopped down into a perfect child's pose and stayed there for for about 30 restful seconds.  Her little body just folded down on itself in utter relaxation.  She hasn't yet been plagued with stiffness, injury, and fear of failure or self-judgment about doing anything 'right'.  Her pose was as natural as breathing.  Here is a link to an article about the benefits of Child's Pose:  https://www.doyouyoga.com/5-health-benefits-of-childs-pose/

I've never found Downward Facing Dog to be a resting pose (and in researching for this post, I find there is some controversy about this in the yoga teaching community as well), but I can see how holding the pose and getting comfortable in it can slow down the practice and allow deep breathing to relax the mind.  It's just that I feel a lot going on with my body in the pose -- wrists, hamstrings, shoulders, alignment...a lot to feel and track.

When I do yoga with my granddaughter,  she loves Downward Facing Dog and does it pretty darn well, except that it isn't a resting pose for her either.  She bends over and pops right back up, giggling with delight, before flopping over again with her head on the floor.  She is so amused at what her body is doing and at watching me do the same, that it's an active, playful pose. It can be the same in the studio as we are encouraged to 'wag our doggy tail" and "pant our doggy breath" in the pose.  Some may find it restful and occasionally I'll go to it for a "rest", but mostly I love that full body relaxation of Child's Pose.

I guess my point is, do what works for you.  This is what our teachers say all the time, but recently I've noticed a few students (newbies) working so hard to find a pose that they are grimacing and overstretching -- over-trying, I call it.  I think most of us want to get it 'right', but we must remember that every pose has a proper alignment but not every body can find that perfect alignment every time; especially not when we are new to the practice.


So....work and rest; work and rest, being sure your rest is the right rest for you.

Namaste,
    donnajurene

No comments:

Post a Comment