Saturday, May 30, 2015

GRANDMA YOGI

I don't do headstands, but this month of May has left me feeling like I'm standing on my head anyway.  At the very least, I'm looking at life with a new perspective, a different focus, with a vaguely familiar, yet completely new priority.

This month began the adventure of providing Granny Nanny care for my 3-month-old granddaughter after her mommy and daddy returned to their paid work after both taking leave to spend time with their 5-1/2 year old and this new little bundle of baby joy.

My husband and I agreed to provide this gift of love, since not one of us could imagine her in a childcare setting all day long at such a tender age.  I thought we were in this together....until scheduling issues arose and my husband's part time job and a business trip meant that for most of this month, I've been on my own.  Ten-hour days, three days a week in a row with a 3-month-old is far more demanding and exhausting than I recalled from 30 years ago with my own children.  On the other hand, this one gets my undivided attention, which is sweet for both of us.

Recently I was visiting with a friend who is a Pilates Master and internationally-known teacher.  She said she frequently makes up scenarios for her students -- "pretend" people and circumstances for whom they have to design a Pilates program.  We talked about what that might be for a 64-year-old woman caring for an infant!  It was fun to think about how my body is moving in new and repetitive ways; where strength is needed, which muscles are stressed, how balance comes into play.

I realize how my lower back is so often in a swayback, slight backbend position as I cradle my little one in her favored position; I notice how my neck, looking down and to the left, is stiff and sore from hours of holding and feeding her in that position; I notice how often I bend to lay her down and pick her up from her play mat on the floor, using legs, arms, and back and how often I am on the floor with her, standing, sitting, lying with her.  I notice how I need balance and strength to lift her and myself holding her up off the floor or up and down a flight of stairs.   I notice how heavy her carseat is with her in it as I load and unload her from the car and carry her into the house and how I am also lifting and carrying her diaper bag and my purse at the same time!  Caring for a baby takes physical strength, stamina, balance, and awareness of how I move and what I need to do to get into and stay into good physical condition for the job.

So, when she is on her play mat and I am sitting near her there, interacting with her and absorbing her sweet smiles as she kicks and plays, I take that opportunity to follow her lead.  Babies really do  practice Happy Baby Pose!  So I do it too, right along with her, along with a few crunches.  Babies on their tummies work hard to push themselves up, holding that heavy head off the floor.  So do I, right along with her, practicing Plank and Sphinx poses.  I make sure my back gets a rest in Child's Pose.  I stand in Tree Pose while waiting for her bottle to warm -- a good balance posture.   It's amazing how often during the day I am aware of how I can incorporate yoga into my Granny Nanny job.

I had none of this awareness when my boys were babies.  I was overweight and I was stiff and sore all of the time.  That's not to say don't practice "sit on the sofa and watch TV" pose at the end of my days with my granddaughter.  Everyone needs a resting pose to return to!   But I'm confident my body is up for the task of baby care in ways I never would have predicted for myself at "grandma age".  I know I am in much better shape now than I was when I was a mother in my mid-30's.   Like Karen says, a regular yoga practice helps us "age backwards".  THANK YOU YOGA CIRCLE!  ©

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit: AleksandraSabelskaia@rf123.com

No comments:

Post a Comment