Sunday, May 31, 2015

9 RULES EVERY YOGA STUDENT SHOULD FOLLOW

A short article was sent to me by a Yoga Circle teacher we know and love....and it so cracked me up!  Read it here to understand better what's to come in this blog post:
http://www.yoganonymous.com/9-rules-every-yoga-teacher-should-follow

What do you think?  Do any of the "rules" resonate with you?   What I'm wondering now is...what list of rules would our teachers offer to us, the students?!?  I bet some would be the same...

1.  Pay Attention to Me -- Our teachers have spent considerable time, effort, and money to get that teacher training accreditation.  Maybe they know something worth paying attention to?  Yep, probably.   So when my mind wanders or I don't understand, or like, a particular asana sequence it just could be that paying attention to the teacher will net a greater result than listening to my chattering thoughts:  "What is she doing?  That's a dumb pose.  This is too easy and a waste of my time....wait, what?  We're going to hang upside down by the straps on the wall???  I didn't sign up for this!"

2.  Introduce Yourself -- How often, first class at a new studio, do we want to sneak in quietly, pay the drop-in fee, and head directly to the back far corner, trying to be invisible and anonymous?  Maybe that's just me.  But I bet the teacher would love to know who is hiding back there, what injuries or issues s/he should be aware of, how s/he can make the class a positive experience for everyone -- even the newbie.  Be bold, students!  "Hi!  My name is Donna.  I'm new here.  I'd love some help with my lower back stiffness and by the way, my broken leg is a little inflexible."

3.  Ignore Anything You Shouldn't See --  Of course we expect our teachers to ignore the belly roll sticking out from between our sleek black yoga pants and cute (but maybe a tad too short) top, or the urgent need for a pedicure appointment, or maybe it's been a bit too long since we took razor to legs and pits.  It's part of their job to see gross stuff -- sort of like a doctor.  We love them for that.  But they might like the same consideration from us.  Teachers are people too!  They might fight weight gain, cellulite, bad hair days or, as happened at a Yoga class I took in Hawaii one time -- a "wardrobe malfunction" causing the teacher's bare left breast to break free from her cute halter top during a demo of Upward Dog.  Just ignore.

4.  Don't Acknowledge That I'm Completely Tone Deaf -- Well, we don't chant or "Om" at Yoga Circle and maybe that is because the teachers really ARE tone-deaf.  I don't know.  But if that's the reason, then we students shouldn't hold our teachers to a standard of pure pitch that we can't match.  C'mon!  Anyone can "om" -- it's the primordial sound of the universe...how could anyone get that wrong?

5.  Remember My Name and Me Forever -- Well, we have it easy on this one.  There are only a handful of teacher's names we have to remember and all we have to do is look on the schedule for a reminder (unless they confuse us with a last-minute sub).   I hand it to our teachers on this one -- they do a great job of remembering names.  And we ALL know who the standout is and she deserves a shout-out here:  Karen Guzak is truly, completely, utterly amazing, isn't she?  I have been coming to Yoga Circle for 6-7 years and I bet I can count on less than one hand the times she has forgotten or confused a name at the end of the class when she goes around the room, saying Namaste to each student by name.  THANK YOU, KAREN!  I take this as an gift of love and personal acknowledgement.  So as students, maybe we can return the favor as we thank our teachers as we are leaving..."Bye, Karen, thanks for a great class!"

6.  Keep the Lessons Simple -- The readings are a lovely addition to yoga class and I love the moments of meditation as I listen to a teacher sharing from a book of wise teachings.  But, c'mon class!  Let's encourage ourselves to higher learning!  Simple lessons are great -- there is wisdom in simplicity.  But it's OK for our teachers to bust out the Yoga Sutras now and again...or heck, lay the Vedic Upanishads on us!  We can take it!  And our teachers would get to move us toward greater enlightenment, which would make their day!  And ours!

7.  Speak English -- Oh sure.  Those Sanskrit words don't exactly trip off our English-speaking tongues, do they?  But again, our teachers went through hours upon hours of training memorizing all the Sanskirt names for all those poses.  Stop being a Happy Baby and let them teach us Anada Balasana.  It sounds so much cooler.  And ancient.  And Yogic.

8.  The Bra Strap is Not an OK Reference Point -- Hmmm...well, the guys might have a point on this one.  Most teachers do seem to be women and most students as well.  We just talk in shortcuts with references to things we know.  This is sexist, I agree.  So, students, let's encourage greater diversity of experience across gender lines!  Men, you could wear a bra.  HaHa!  Just kidding...well, unless you want to and then I'm totally cool with that.  But we could ALL be sure to attend classes and workshops taught by both men and women.   Don't lay this totally on the teacher, yo.

9.  Duh! Make Class Fun -- I agree with Rob on this one.   Recommending a certain Yoga Circle blogger would make each and every class so much more enjoyable...©

Namaste,  donnajurene

Photo Credit:  Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment