Monday, May 18, 2015

THE SWEETEST POSE (CHOCOLATE!)

Sugar is bad for us.  Super bad.  And tastes super good.  And we learn to crave it because the pleasure center in our brains has a teeny tiny little addiction problem with lots of substances, but the most legal, accessible, ubiquitous, and delicious is sugar.

So, in an attempt to clean up the 'ole bod and kick my sugar cravings I swore off sweets about a month ago.  It didn't take long for the cravings to subside and I was feeling pretty darned self-righteous about my easy-breezy kick of the habit.  Until this past weekend...

I attended a retreat for the women of my spiritual community with the theme:  Choosing Happiness:  Chocolate Can't Be Far Behind!

Good Golly!  Women sure do know how to bring a veritable feast of potluck chocolates to a retreat encouraging happiness through cacao consumption!  The display of high end chocolates, overpriced candy bars ($7.00!), and percentages of "darkness" in each was impressive.  I know chocolate has been rehabed, but wow!  I don't think we are meant to binge for three days on the stuff!  

So, in an attempt to counteract the effects of a little overindulgence, my roomie and BFF encouraged me to incorporate a bit of Yoga into my weekend, not really denying the siren song of a few M&M's and Hershey Kisses (I go for the cheap stuff), but including it!  So I thought, "OK!  I can do Yoga AND eat chocolate!"

Do you know that dumping a few M&M's onto a paper dessert plate strategically placed upon the floor at about the same level as where your head ends up in Downward Dog can vastly improve your flexibility?  (And makes Lion's Breath, with that tongue wagging, much more productive!)  And a little Hershey's Kiss precipitously balanced on the top of each ankle makes the reach toward your toes in Seated Forward Fold that much more scrumptious!  Also, a Theo Organic Fair Trade Sea Salt 70% Dark Chocolate candy bar perched at the crown chakra really encourages a steady balance in Tree Pose.

I share these tips with you since I know I can't be the only one who needs a little sugar boost now and again -- and you don't have to abandon your Yoga practice to get it!

But today I am back on the wagon, since last night after arriving home from the retreat, I found I was spending far too much time in Fetal Pose with a bit of a tummy ache.   You've been warned. ©

Namaste, donnajurene




No comments:

Post a Comment