Monday, June 29, 2015

INTENTION. ATTENTION. ATTITUDE.

Intention.  Attention.  Attitude.  How often do we hear Karen speak of this in class?  A lot.  Because it is so wise.

We set an Intention, we give that Intention our Attention, and we adjust our Attitude to ensure we are finding meaning and joy in the process.  How does this manifest for you?

Every January, instead of a New Year's Resolution (so short-lived!), I set an intention for the year.  This started many years ago in my women's group where we share our individual intentions and promise to hold each other accountable for keeping the intention in mind and manifesting as the year progresses.  One year my intention was to "public" my closeted creativity.  It was the year I first read my poetry publicly and organized and facilitated a monthly Ecstatic Dance event.  My Intention to reveal my desire to share those creative pursuits (in spite of fear and trepidation -- what if I failed???), was met with my Attention to how I'd do that (the poetry open mics and promoting the dance thing), held together by the glue of assuming an Attitude of "why not?...just do it!"  

I find it easy to set the Intention.  There are so many things I "intend"!  The list is endless.  But sometimes I get bogged down in the Attention phase.  There are also so many distractions as well and opportunities to procrastinate.  "Later."  "Next week."  "Next month."  And Attitude?  Well, in class recently when a sister yogi talked about a Society of Optimists, I asked if they allowed Pessimists in. I struggle with a glass half-empty default.  I think my life's work might be to adjust my attitude to one of optimism.  I'm often successful, but it's a system over-ride to get there.  So my Attitude about the Intention is often where I struggle.  Yet, every year I have been able to find an Intention to which to give my Attention and have developed the Attitude to find success -- or at least deep learning in the struggle.

This practice is also available to me when I come to class.  After I've gathered my props and arranged my mat, I stand at the back edge, bringing my hands together in Namaste, eyes closed, head slightly bowed.   I set an intention for the class.  I've done this almost from Day 1 of walking into a yoga studio.  My yoga practice is sacred to me and my intention is to treat it as such.  My Intention is to focus on my own practice, to give it my full Attention.  I remind myself to assume a humble Attitude; to not get competitive with myself or others, be open to and aware of emotions and judgments that may arise, and to appreciate the transformation that will occur within me.  Because the Hindu god Shiva dances away the old, creating chaos in the process, to make way for the new, I invoke his name: Om Namah Shivaya.  

This simple ritual of Intention, Attention, Attitude is transformative.  It works anywhere, for anything we are engaged in.   Give it a try! ©

Namaste,  donnajurene


1 comment:

  1. FROM AN EMAIL: Thanks so much...my dear one. Your wisdom and humor really enhance our practice.
    And, thanks for the Welcome Newbies.

    ReplyDelete