Monday, June 22, 2015

INTERNATIONAL YOGA DAY IN SNOHOMISH COUNTY

We did it!  United Nations International Yoga Day -- June 21, 2015.  The first ever.  Click on this link for some amazing photographs of the event taken all over the globe yesterday.
http://mashable.com/2015/06/21/photos-international-yoga-day/

Alas, the Associate Press forgot to come to Snohomish.  But there were plenty of cameras on hand and I took a few shots with my phone.  But most of those I've borrowed for this blog post are from the Unity Day Facebook Page. https://www.facebook.com/UNITYdia?fref=ts  I don't think they will mind -- the goal I heard expressed over and over is that we will spread the word and build this event for years to come.  A worthy goal, because it was a fabulous opportunity to practice and find inspiration from yoga masters, wellness practitioners, meditation teachers, and fellow yogis alike.  What a joyful gathering!

I showed up well before 10:00 a.m. to be sure to be there when our own Karen Guzak was introduced and gave welcoming remarks, initially reminding the crowd that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called us to action with these words:

"Yoga is an invaluable gift of ancient Indian tradition.  It embodies unity of mind and boyd; thought and account; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature and a holistic approach to health and well-being.  Yoga is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with ourselves, the world, and Nature.  By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, Yoga can help us deal with with climate change.  Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day."
                                                                                                           
Karen, who of course is Yoga Circle Studio owner and lead teacher AND Mayor of Snohomish,  challenged us to bring yoga into the world, using the tools of yoga to make our relationships and our communities better.  She offered this inspiring quote:

"Politics and spirituality are two sides of the sam coin.  Politics is the driving force visible to the outside; spirituality is the internal force driving the consciousness to open up to the world and conjoin it.  Politics bared of spiritual awareness always leads to violence and the abuse of power.  Spirituality without political engagement resembles an escape from the world." -- Gundula Schatz

Grounding ourselves in our bodies, turning inward to achieve self-knowledge and healing, creating connections to others and the wider world were also the lessons of Aadil Palkhivala, founder of Purna Yoga and International Yoga Master teacher and lecturer.  Over the next hour, he led us in a round of nine sun salutations, interspersed with wise words of teaching about how yoga serves the individual and serves the world.  Yoga's aim is not to transcend ourselves and the world but to know ourselves deeply and to serve with compassion.  So inspiring!  And he was funny and engaging.

He started us out with a very slow progression through the Sun Salutation asana.  I had ended up in the front row in front of the stage --not at all where I'd have chosen to be, but wanted to be close enough to get a few photos and before I knew it we were into the asana practice and it seemed rude at that point to pack up and move to the back.  So I stayed.  All was well until about 2/3 of the way through when the asana instruction speeded up significantly and the flow from one posture to the next was faster than I normally move.  I could tell I was a beat (or two or three) behind the instruction at various points.  But I decided to send my ego packing and just go with it at my own pace (in the blazing hot sun, I might add!  SUN Salutation was accurate!)

I knew I could only stay until about noon, since a big Fathers Day gathering was happening at home.   I regretted the conflict.  I would have loved to partake in all that was being offered -- information on Auravedic, meditation instruction, more yoga asana (even a class just for kids!)...  What a wonderful opportunity to sample from the Yoga well of wisdom.  I did have time to buy a very cool new Yoga t-shirt from one of the venders and enjoy a yummy lavender-mint kombucha tea!  It was fun to greet old friends and chat with so many Indian people who shared their culture through dance, dress, food, and music. Did you know a new Hindu temple is being built in Bothell?  A very kind man explained it to me and invited me (all!) to come.  The opportunities to know our neighbors of another culture abound through Yoga.

I don't know what the estimated attendance was throughout the day (I'd guess 75 for the morning asana in which I participated).   I was happy to see that our Congressional Representative Rick Larsen came by to join in practice in the afternoon.   (Here he is at the front of the stage, in gray, and chatting with Karen.)

While numbers were sparse compared to the larger gatherings over the globe, Aadil coined our local effort a "seed" event -- one that will grow and grow and be unrecognizable in the future, when hundreds gather in Snohomish County to celebrate the healing powers of Yoga.   I agree...See you next year!

Namaste,  donnajurene

(India Photo Credit: Reuters Adam Abidi)


No comments:

Post a Comment